There is nothing more convenient than connecting with people over a face-to-face video call. Google Duo is one of the notable video chat apps that lets you chat with your loved ones. It is available for different platforms and is best known for the quality of the call it provides its users. In addition to its native app support for Android and iOS, you will also find the Google Duo Web version. It is a great advantage as there is no dedicated Google Duo PC app available. With Duo Web, you will be able to connect with people who matter to you the most at any time right from your laptop or desktop.
You neither have to wait for the download and installation nor worry about your device space. To use Google Duo web online, all you need is a webcam and microphone enabled on your device. With this, your conversation stays private with end-to-end encryption. To know more in detail about Google Duo Web version and making calls from PC, you will find this article interesting.
How to Use Google Duo from Web
Since Google Duo is available as a web version, you can access it safely from your browser itself.
Step 1: Launch a web browser of your choice on your Chromebook. Say, Google Chrome.
Step 2: Navigate to https://duo.google.com/about/ using the address bar.
Step 3: Make a click on Try Duo for Web button on the official page of Duo.
Step 4: You will be asked to sign in with your Google Account. Enter the email id and click on Next.
Note: If you have already sign in to your Google Account, then Duo will auto-login.
Step 5: Then, provide your password to click on the Next button.
Step 6: You will get a pop-up at the bottom that asks you to add the phone number. Click the Add number button.
Note: To skip this now, select Later.
Step 7: Click on the drop-down to choose your country. Then, enter the Phone number and click Next.
Step 8: Duo will send a verification code to the phone number you have provided. Type it on the web correctly.
Step 9: The pop-up will show You’re all set when the verification is completed. Click Got it, and use Google Duo for web.
Take a Tour on Duo Web Interface
You will find the following after you linked your Google account and verified your phone number on Duo Web.
The home screen of the Duo web has three sections, top, left, and center pane.
Section 1: The Top Pane
At the top, there is the Search bar where you can look for contacts or dial. Besides the search bar, you will find the Help icon, Feedback icon, and Gear icon.
To make any changes to your Google Duo account, click on the Gear icon to go to Settings.
- Under Account, you will find your Google Account details like user name, email id, phone number (only if you have verified), a slider that lets others contact you over email. Despite this, you will find the Remove Google Account button and Delete Duo account button.
- Turn off or on the Knock Knock feature by clicking on the slider. It is a live video preview feature. Enabling it will show your video preview to your caller and the preview of your caller to you.
- Clicking on Sources will open a pop-up in which you can grant permission to microphone, headphones, and camera. In addition to this, you can play the sound. Apply changes with a click on Done.
- Select Blocked users to see the list of blocked contacts on Duo.
- Google Duo supports downloading your call log. Click on the Download button to get it.
Section 2: The Left Pane
The left pane shows Start a call and Create group button while the remaining section of the screen will show the Google Duo users in your contact list under Connect on Duo.
How to Make Calls on Duo Web?
There are more than one way exists in which you can make calls on Duo Web. This section will let you make video calls from the left pane.
Private Video Call Only
- Click on Start a call button to make a video call.
- Enter the phone number or email and click on the Video call button.
Group Video Call Only
- Select the Create group button.
- You can either add people or start calling people on your contacts.
Tip! Duo provides the option to copy the group call link or send it as an email.
Section 3: Middle Pane
From the middle section of the Duo web, it will show your recent activity and contacts on Duo. In addition to this, you can make a video or voice call.
To make Video or Voice Call
Step 1: Just click on the contact to whom you want to make a Duo call.
Step 2: Choose between Voice call or Video call button.
Note: Duo web supports options like microphone mute, full-screen mode, and settings while on the voice call. In video calls, you can mute the microphone, turn off the camera, send wide video, enter picture-in-picture mode and full-screen mode.
What We Miss on Google Duo Web?
Unlike Duo mobile platform, you will not find all the features on the web version. The following are the things that we found missing on Google Duo online web.
- You cannot send video or voice messages
- No quick reaction support available
- Photos and personalized notes cannot be shared.
Never bother about the unavailability of the Duo desktop app. Instead, you can use the web version of Duo to start instant communication. All you need is the webcam and microphone support. Just by granting Duo with permission to access the camera and microphone, you will be able to connect with anyone at any time. Make high-quality video or voice calls from Duo web and be together in the moments.